Friday, July 23, 2010

In-Person Promotion



Besides all the promotion I do on the Internet, I thought I might mention what I do in person. I go to a lot of craft festivals. My first was the Apple Festival here in my own town. This is a two day affair where everyone must have their own tent of some sort and all the items they need for selling whatever their goods might be--in my case, my books. I bought a tent (we've had two more since then, looking for the easiest to put up)and folding tables. Of course we had to have chairs to sit on and a money box. In the photo is the booth I had for the Fourth of July celebration at Channel Islands Harbor in Oxnard CA.

I also go to events where the table and chairs are supplied and all you have to brings is your books. Have one of these coming up on July 31st at the Maidu Library in Roseville CA that will be from 10 to 5. There will be lots of authors and even some panels. The Hanford Library is sponsoring an author signing in the Hanford Mall on the 14th of August. Nearly all my weekends have an event of some kind or another.

I do go to a few independent bookstores both for signings and give talks to writers groups but believe it or not, I sell more books at craft and author fairs.

If you've never done anything like this, the key is to stand up and speak to people. At a craft fair, the passersby may not realize you are the author of the books on the table. It does take a bit of guts, but after all, you went to all the trouble to go to the event and drag your equipment and books along, so you should make the most of it.

Marilyn

2 comments:

Maryannwrites said...

Following your lead, Marilyn, I started doing more arts festivals in the last few years, and they can be quite successful. Plus, I just love hanging out with all those creative people. Come home really juiced after that.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Hi, Maryann, I really enjoy doing these--the one drawback is I'm tempted to buy other people's stuff--especially jewelry.

Marilyn