Monday, November 22, 2010

Why Do We Enjoy Reading and Writing Mysteries?

When I read the newspapers and see the Internet news telling about heinous crimes, I think how awful. Often my mind goes to the families of all who are affected--not just the families who are related to the dead, but also the families of the one who did the killing.

In the books sometimes there isn't much about the family, but if there is they are usually twisted too, much like the criminal himself.In fact, the cruel father or the sadistic mother is what created the monster. In real life, often the family is as shocked by the actions of the killer as the rest of the world.

I was thinking about this while enjoying a mystery about a serial killer, then later reading something on the Internet about a real serial killer and shuddering.

This made me stop and think. Though I don't write about serial killers, I do write about ordinary people (or those who appear ordinary) who do bad things to other people and I got to wondering about it. Why do I enjoy reading and writing about such things?

I think the answer has to be in the books the bad guy always is caught and received some kind of justice. In real life, sometimes the bad guy is never caught or if he is caught and put on trial, sometimes something happens and he is released because of a mistrial or a jury finds him not guilty.

Do your have another opinion? I'd love to hear it.

Marilyn

2 comments:

Juanita Rose Violini said...

This is a question I have thought about when producing murder mystery entertainment. Is it glamorizing violence? This consideration is also one reason why I write mysteries for the puzzle aspect rather than the gory sequences.

In the end I came to the conclusion that what I was doing was about entertainment and storytelling; both which have a necessary place in culture.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I agree Juanita, thoughtful comment.

Marilyn