Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Who Do You Write For?

“I like what I like and not what I'm supposed to like because of mass rating.” - Earle Stanley Gardner "The Case of the Careless Cupid"

The above quote appeared on my screen just seconds after I had taken a stand to write my entertainment mysteries how I think they should be written and not adjust them to how 'a board' would prefer them to look. It feels great. Past experience has proven that once one starts adjusting and rewriting, based on others preferences, the whole thing falls apart. So I might loose a contract or two and I might end up losing face by taking a risk - but on the whole I'd rather that than create with a clenched gut because the project doesn't feel right when written with adjustments that are not mine.

Hurray for taking a stand for artistic control. Win or lose, it feels like the best option.

Here's another Gardner quote I like:

“It's a damn good story. If you have any comments, write them on the back of a check.”

No comments: